Indian Butter Chicken is definitely a classic Indian favorite especially in Australia. So I thought I'd share a really simple recipe you can use at home! It is a lot cheaper than getting takeaway from Indian restaurants and this recipe could easily feed 6 people. Enjoy! :)
- 700g chicken drumsticks (you may also use skinless, diced chicken breasts or chicken thighs)
- 1 cup butter
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 can (425ml) tomato sauce
- 3 cups double cream
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons tandoori masala
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees C.
- Melt a few tablespoons of butter in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in onion and garlic, and cook slowly until the onion caramelizes to a dark brown, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile melt the remaining butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat along with the tomato sauce, heavy cream, salt, cayenne pepper, and garam masala. Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to medium-low; cover, and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Then stir in caramelized onions.
- While the sauce is simmering, toss the chicken with vegetable oil until coated, then season with tandoori masala and spread out onto a baking sheet.
- Bake chicken in preheated oven until no longer pink in the center, about 12 minutes. Once done, add the chicken to the sauce and simmer for 5 minutes before serving.