Kimba's Original Recipe
Hey hey it's Sunday again! You know what that means. That means I get to COOK all day! Well, ok maybe not literally all day, but I've got all afternoon to prepare and cook delicious food not just for the day, but also to stock up on our frozen meals to take to work for lunch in the coming week.
So today, I'm excited to share this recipe I've pretty much managed to "wing it" quite successfully. I did not follow a recipe for this one, but instead I used my instincts and just tasted as I was cooking. I'm VERY happy with how the sauce for these Chilli Prawns turned out. Very happy indeed!
750g large prawns
2 tbsp dark soy sauce
2 tbsp Shao Xing cooking wine
1 small onion, chopped
1 tbsp hot chilli paste
1 tsp parsley paste
1 tsp chopped garlic
5 tbsp tomato sauce
2 tbsp Maggi hot chilli sauce
2 tbsp water
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp light soy sauce
Salt and pepper
1 tbsp cooking oil
1/3 cup of full cream milk
Chopped fresh parsley to serve
- Peel and devein the prawns and cut each prawn along the back so it opens like a butterfly (leave each prawn joined along the base and at the tail, leaving the tail attached).
- Marinate the prawns in dark soy sauce and Shao Xing cooking wine.
- Heat a non-stick wok and fry the marinated prawns until just turning pink. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, mix the hot chilli paste, parsley paste, chopped garlic, tomato sauce, hot chilil sauce, water, sugar, light soy sauce, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat the oil in a pan and fry the onions until it becomes soft.
- Return the prawns into the pan and fry them with the onions for 2 mins.
- Add the sauce into the pan and stirfry for a further 1 min.
- Add milk into the pan and stirfry for another 2 mins before serving up the prawns.
- Garnish with freshly chopped parsley.
3 cups of rice, cooked
2 carrots, chopped into small dices
1 cup of green peas
1 cup of sweet corn kernels
6 chinese sausages (lup chong), sliced
- Heat wok and fry carrots, green peas, corn and chinese sausages for approx. 5-7 minutes.
- Add the cooked rice when the chinese sausages are truly cooked and tender.
- Serve the fried rice with chilli prawns.